Saturday, May 8, 2010

New Guy/Gal Syndrome

I started a new job about three months ago. And in my first few months at the job, I have heard several comments alluding to the following central theme:

"Ha, you are still new. Let's see if you still feel this way in a few months"
"I felt the same way when I started ... hope that you are able to do more w/ it than I did"
"It's good to see you pushing for some of this stuff - but you are still fairly new"
"Dude, you still got the 'new guy syndrome'!"

Implying that:

The desire to push for positive and wanted shifts in an organization is inversely proportion to the length of time you have worked in that organization. Or that as you get more comfortable and acquire a longer tenure at the organization - your desire to change things goes down, primarily driven from a lack of success (I assume).

And the funny thing is most everyone around you assumes that will be the likely scenario.

What a shame!

My response:

"If having the 'new guy/gal syndrome' is what drives an individual to objectively look at organizational processes and strive to drive more effectiveness and efficiency, than as a leader I hope that this syndrome is contagious and that I can infect everyone else around me with it!"

There. Now you have it. Go, spread it. Go :)

1 comment:

sonal said...

Interesting. Its a common bug throughout!!